Friday, February 1, 2008

Competitive sports create virtual communities

Competitive sporting isn't just fun and games - it's a veritable social institution.

Most people at the University already know that sports are valuable, but I haven't always agreed. To be honest, I actively disliked competitive sports for most of my life.

It turns out I was missing out on a huge part of society.

My dislike of competitive sports dates back to my childhood. I tried to play basketball and baseball, but I wasn't very good nor was I interested in learning how to get better.

Sports just didn't mean anything to me. I preferred to play Nintendo with my friends.

See, I was good at that.

Sports began to bother me as a teenager and young adolescent because they caused me social discomfort. I didn't know anything about sports, so sports-themed conversations were often painful. Without knowledge of the terminology, players or rules, I wasn't able to converse with people my age. I always felt lost during sports-themed conversations, even among friends.

I thought it couldn't get any worse, but I was wrong.

Continue reading at The Daily Reveille...

No comments: